Subject outcome 2.1: Work with algebraic expressions using the remainder and the factor theorems
- Use and apply the remainder and the factor theorem.
- Find the remainder.
- Prove that an expression is a factor.
- Find an unknown variable in order to make an expression, a factor or to leave a remainder.
- Factorise third degree polynomials including examples that require the factor theorem
(long division or any other method may be used).
Unit 1 outcomes
By the end of this unit you will be able to:
- Find the factors of a cubic polynomial.
- Find the remainder of cubic polynomial.
- Use division by inspection, synthetic division or long division to factorise and solve cubic polynomials.